Wednesday 20 May 2015

Sweet Potato and Mozzarella Cheese Poppers


I saw the recipe for this on Instagram and knew I had to make them (for either the baby or for me!!) they were pretty simple to make and they turned out way better than I thought. I made mine slightly differently to the original recipe.

To make these you will need:
40g porridge oats
2 1/2 tbsp milk
2 small sweet potatoes
20g grated Parmesan or hard cheese
150g of mozzarella cut into cubes
50g breadcrumbs 
1 egg
Fresh chives (optional)

Peel and steam the potatoes in saucepan with lid on. Once soft, drain and leave to cool.
Add to a blender the potato, oats, hard cheese, milk, chives and blend. 

Preheat oven to 200C

Using ice cream scoop or tablespoon, add a scoop of the mixture into the palm of your hand and flatten. Add a cube of mozzarella and cover forming a ball by rolling in hand. (I found that it worked best with dry hands, so did keep having to wash and dry my hands!) leave balls to one side.


For the bread crumbs I toasted 1 piece of thickly cut wholemeal bread and once cooled put into a blender with a sprinkle of oats. Then I blended this until I had an almost fine grain.

You will then need to get yourself two bowls - place breadcrumbs into one and beat an egg in the other. 


I then covered one of the potato balls in the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs and repeated. 





This leaves a nice even layer of breadcrumbs. 


Once all potato balls have been covered, line a baking tray with baking paper and place potato balls onto tray. 


Bake for 10 minutes. 




Then you are ready to eat!!


I served mine with griddled lemon and herb chicken and petite pois. I was surprised by how much Oscar ate as his appetite as been up and down at the moment because of his teeth, but he pretty much polished off the lot! I couldn't believe it! 

These are a great snack to store in the freezer and great as a lunch box snack! I will definitely be making these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment