Friday 29 May 2015

Homemade Hummus


Over the last few days I've been meaning to try this out, however I've been so knackered/haven't really had the chance. As the boy seems to have drifted off into a deep sleep I thought now is my chance! 

I found a recipe on Pinterest, however as I didn't have all the ingredients I've adapted this to make it work...

For this I used:
1 small tin of chickpeas (210g)
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
A handful of cherry tomatoes
Olive oil
A pinch of salt and a crack of fresh pepper
1 tsp tomato purée paste

First you will need to roast the tomatoes...
Set oven to 200C.In a small oven proof dish throw in the tomatoes and two crushed cloves garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt and crack black pepper over the top. 



Leave to roast for 20 mins or so, checking they haven't burnt! Once roasted leave to cool. Be sure to leave a couple of tomatoes spare for a topping!


(Slightly burnt....!)

Drain the chickpeas and empty into food processor. Then add almost all the tomatoes, garlic cloves, a little oil, tomato paste and lemon juice. 



And blitz until a smooth consistency. 



At this point I realised I had used the wrong kind of food processor! So switched over to a handheld blender. 


I then garnished this with the leftover tomatoes (chopped) and the few basil leaves left on my plant! The main recipe does say to use fresh basil in the mix, which I will probably do next time but as my plant is regrowing its leaves there was no option here!!


I served this with a few dipping utensils: toast fingers, rice cakes, bread sticks and carrot sticks (and a few bits of fruit just to mix it up!) I did also give him a bit of cream cheese to dip too just so the flavours weren't too repetitive! Overall it worked out well!



No comments:

Post a Comment