Saturday 20 June 2015

Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry


This was a surprisingly quick meal to make. Next time I make this I think I will add more veggies, some lentils and diced apple.

For this I used:
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
1 small sweet potato
1 small tin chickpeas
1 tin plum tomatoes
250ml coconut milk (I use Alpro Coconut milk - see below!)
1 tsp coriander leaf
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ginger
Olive oil
Rice

To begin with dice up the onion, garlic, carrot and sweet potato into small pieces. (I cut the potato quite small to cook quicker). Add the spices and put into saucepan with a bit of olive oil and cook for a couple of minutes. 


Then add the tinned tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to the boil. I like to use the Alpro Coconut milk off the milk aisle in supermarkets as I find tinned coconut milk has too many stabilisers and added flavours etc. but that's just my personal taste! (I also find it useful to freeze this milk in an ice cube tray and use specifically for cooking as it works out cheaper and healthier!) then add the chickpeas. Then reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has thickened. For me this took about 20-30 minutes. Whilst this is cooking, boil a separate pan with water and cook the rice as per the packet instructions. Once veg is soft take off the heat and you are ready to serve. I also froze up a few lots of this as its a handy meal to have in the freezer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment